Happy (almost) Valentine’s Day! Here’s a v-day heart decoration you can make with 3 simple materials that I’m sure you have on-hand. All you need are: a cereal box, scissors, and a stapler.
I was able to make my chain out of a single cereal box. Measurements are approximate. This is one of those loosey-goosey crafts that can be put together a million different ways and still turn out fine. I’ll tell you what I did to make this one, and you can make adjustments as necessary.
- Cut the tops, bottoms, and sides off the box – I used the front and back for this chain.
- Slice into 3/4″ (ish) strips, lengthwise.
- Fold the strips in half.
- Using the fold as the point of the heart, bend the strips inward to make a heart shape.
- Staple closed.
- Take another strip, thread it through the first completed heart, and repeat steps 4-5.
- Keep going until you reach the desired length.
That’s it! It’s a perfect project to decorate a child’s bedroom for Valentine’s day (or a birthday), and would be a great elementary school class party craft. Students can individually make chains and then join them all together to make a super-long decoration for stringing around the classroom.
Have fun! If you like this tutorial, you may also like this variation on the paper heart chain.