Do you have empty glass jars in your recycling bin? (Sauces, jams, mason jars, baby food…) Now you can use them for this adorable Halloween decoration!
- Glass jars, washed, labels removed
- Colored tissue paper
- Black construction paper
- Mod Podge (or thinned white glue)
- paint brush
This craft is super-easy.
- Tear pieces of tissue paper (this is something that toddlers could help with!) and glue them in a single layer to the outside of the jar. You may want to tear lots of pieces before you start gluing. Once you begin the project and get glue on your fingers, they will stick to the paper and make tearing difficult! If you’ve never used Mod Podge to decoupage before, don’t fear: paint a thin layer right onto the glass, stick a piece of tissue to it, and use the brush to smooth another thin layer of Mod Podge over it. Little wrinkles here and there should be expected, and just add to the “homemade” look.
- Cut a face or spooky design out of black construction paper and use the same decoupage technique to glue it on top of the tissue paper. If you don’t have black paper, any dark color will do… but make sure it is dark. Many tissues will bleed when they get wet, and the color will run onto your paper.
- Coat the entire outside of the jar with Mod Podge/glue to seal. Don’t worry – it dries clear!
Once the jar is completely dry, it is ready to display! You can even place a tea light inside the jar, which will glow through the transparent tissue paper and transform your creation into a decorative lantern.
Remember, you don’t have to copy my jars exactly. Get creative! This is a fun project to do with kids… Let them pick the color, and even create and/or cut out their own features. Here are some more ideas for the folks who like more concrete instructions:
- Use white tissue and create a ghost face
- Make a collection of jack-o-lanterns each with a different face
- Create a multi-colored monster with a silly face
- Use the black paper to create a spider web over a light color tissue
- Design a jar to look like candy corn with stripes of white, orange & yellow tissue paper
Have fun, and Happy Halloween!